I’m so disappointed; all my good intentions at the start of the year(yes I mean two months ago) have gone to shit and I’m back where I started.
I’m bloated, sluggish, retaining water like a massive sponge and I feel terrible.
My thyroid has gone overactive and I know that’s not a good thing but I must be the only unlucky fucker ever to gain weight when overactive despite hardly eating.
My mystery illness is really affecting my daily life badly; I am in constant pain now doing pretty much anything and I have to get my shit together and try to ease the pain and how I’m feeling.
So I tried a well-known milkshake diet. The only pounds I lost were the ones in my bank account.
I’ve calmed down a little since the bad hospital appointment and major depressive hole I was stuck in at the beginning of the year; I can tell as my sensible hat is back out of the drawer and is doing its thing.
So, lets break it down(in my head I’m saying that like JT in Sexyback):
I need to lose weight. I want to lose weight.
I want to be happy. I want to be healthy.
Seems simple enough. Lets now look at my barriers to overcome – and they are true barriers and not excuses:
My hands are fucked. I can barely wash up and change a nappy let alone lift weights and hold plank.
My legs, hips, and basically every muscle and joint in my body hurts. Most of the time.
tired knackered exhausted absolutely fucked. All. Of. The. Time.
I used to run most days. I love running. And when I wasn’t running I would walk miles most days. I can barely manage 3000 steps on a good day at the moment.
It’s completely soul destroying.
It’s unrealistic to think I will run or walk miles at the moment. I love swimming but I also have no way of leaving the house to exercise.
So diet is the way forward then, I guess.
And I don’t mean that I am going on a diet. I mean that I am going to be mindful of what I am putting in my body and seeing if fuelling my body properly and carefully helps.
So, these are the changes I propose:
- reduce my bread and white rice and pasta intake. I can’t cut them completely, I love them too much; but carbs are not my friend and I will switch to brown when I fancy them.
- reduce my sugar intake. This is a hard one. I was on sweeteners but I read up on artificial sweeteners such as aspartame and sucralose and it put me right off. I love a sugar in my morning coffee – maybe I’ll keep that for now and try to reduce other refined sugars.
- processed food. It’s cheap and easy to fill up on processed crap and it concerns me that I don’t know what most of the ingredients are. Life is bad when a sausage is only 17% pork. Hmmm. So I’m reducing my processed food intake and concentrating on eating natural and whole foods where possible.
- avoiding low fat/low calorie/’diet’ food. Last year I followed a well-known slimming plan and loved that I could use a low calorie spray to fry my food. Unfortunately that low calorie spray cooked like plastic and killed my best frying pan. And I also learnt that margarine never degrades, because it has the same ingredients as plastic. I’m going to try and avoid low fat/calorie/etc. alternatives and see how I go.
- drink more water. I’m so bad for dehydrating. I am lucky if I drink two cups a day, I just forget and don’t enjoy water. So two litres a day is my aim.
I’m thinking I may have a cheat day to start with, or a cheat meal, on a Friday or Saturday.
I’m going to do some reading up, find some recipes and research and will keep you updated as I go.
As always, any tips, comments or anything is always greatly received; you can contact me here.