Hubbo will eat pretty much anything; apart from courgette and tomatoes that is. Which he eats because I conceal them in meals… *evil laugh*
My Father-in-law sent me a lovely recipe for Paella, which I’ve never cooked before.
His recipe needed:
- 2tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 200g long grain rice
- 1 red pepper
- 1.5pints chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and turmeric
- 175g chopped ham
- 150g prawns
- 100g frozen peas
I substituted the ham for pepperoni as I couldn’t find any decent ham and I use dried herbs and spices, and two oxo chicken stock cubes.
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan(I used a wok). A cast iron skillet would work well as well.
- Fry chopped onion until soft.
- Add rice and garlic and fry for 1min stirring well.
- Add stock, chopped red pepper, ham/pepperoni, turmeric and paprika, bring to the boil and simmer for 12mins.
- Add frozen peas and prawns(if using frozen then must be thawed, be safe and don’t give yourself the shits).
- Mix well and cook for 3-4mins.
- Serve straight away. Should serve four but this made loads.
It was gorgeous, a lovely silky consistency with a lush flavour but it wasn’t spicy at all. The boys loved it and it was so easy to make.
I like rating recipes, so this one being my first recipe on my blog, is a good contender for top marks.
The only cons I can think of is the prawns are bloody expensive for such a basic dish and the ham was the same, I begrudge spending £3.89 on prawns and £1.89 on ham when I did it a lot cheaper.
So I’ll give this, out of five:
Enjoy and let me know what you think! I love cooking and would love to see recipes from other people too!